Since 2011, the government of Canada has made it easier for parents and grandparents of various countries to come and visit their children or grandchildren for up to two years at a time through super visa insurance. The Canadian government initiated a mandatory plan to ensure the applicants are well looked after during a medical emergency. Let us understand clearly what super visa insurance is and how one can apply for it.
The super visa allows the individual to stay in Canada for a maximum period of up to two years, unlike a regular tourist visa where the person can stay for only six months in the country. The reason behind creating the super visa insurance was to control the massive number of applications received by the Canadian government from people who wanted to stay for a more extended period. The coverage provided in this insurance plan includes healthcare and repatriation services from any reliable Canadian insurance company, which has a validity of one year from the date of entry.
Protecting you from any financial tension
If you are a grandparent or parent travelling from your country of origin to Canada, it is compulsory that you apply for super visa insurance. Suppose a medical situation arises, and any Canadian insurance company does not insure you; in that case, you will have to end up spending a lot more money on your hospital bills, which in Canada, might I add, is very expensive. Canada’s healthcare is not affordable for non-residents; the average overnight cost in any hospital can range from $1000 upwards. You can rest assured that all your financial worries concerning medical care will be well looked after with super visa insurance.
How can super visa insurance benefit the applicant?
- The healthcare expenses of the applicant are covered in the plan.
- In the event of a medical emergency, semi-private hospital accommodation is provided.
- The policy also includes ambulance services.
- Follow-up visits to the doctor are covered as well.
- The policy also offers prescription medication related to the medical situation of the policyholder.
- No medical questions are required to be filled or answered to obtain a quote.
- Under the super visa insurance policy, an additional member of the family can be insured as well.
- Accident dental coverage is provided if the insured suffers from a fall or a slip and injures their teeth or mouth.
Who is eligible for super visa insurance?
Any parent or grandparent willing to travel to Canada to visit their loved ones must present proof that they have purchased medical insurance from any Canadian insurance company. The Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) reserves the right to deny entry to any individual into the country based on the grounds of health or crime.
The below-mentioned is some of the eligibility criteria for a person to apply for super visa insurance:
- They must have purchased private medical insurance from any Canadian insurance agency.
- The insurance plan must be valid for a minimum of one year from the date of the applicant’s entry into the country.
- The insurance policy must include private hospitalization, repatriation coverage, and other necessary medical requirements.
- The minimum policy coverage should be at least $100,000
The million-dollar question, “Is super visa insurance expensive?”
As the policy owner, you have the choice to buy super visa insurance for a single parent/grandparent or both. Depending on which territory or province the host resides in the country, including the coverage options and the insurance provider, the cost of super visa insurance ranges between $100 – $200 per month. A tip to save costs is to purchase super visa insurance individually.
What are the other alternatives to super visa insurance?
Suppose they do not qualify for super visa insurance as per the guidelines set by the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). In that case, there are other options for them to obtain visa and insurance coverage. The most common choice is a visitor visa, where they can stay for up to six months at a time. The insurance plan is created for parents and grandparents travelling to the country to visit their family and plan to stay for up to two years. If permanent residents are willing to sponsor their parents or grandparents, they can apply for the Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship Program (PGP). This program allows citizens of Canada or permanent residents to sponsor their grandparents or parents to become permanent residents of the country.
The country prides itself on ensuring that families are kept together by making sure their parents or grandparents from other countries do not miss out on their children or grandchildren growing up or spending holidays with their dear ones. The super visa program has been a lifesaver for many. As mentioned above, the process for getting super visa insurance is pretty straightforward and stress-free. Also, on the off chance your super via insurance gets denied by the IRCC, you will receive a 100% refund of the premium.